Friday 29 August 2014

Requiescat in pace

I have sent the first assassin outfit off to its new home.
Some of the decorative features I have documented already but since my last post I still had some trimming to do.

The lace on the back and front lace I sewed on by machine but the sleeve and sleevehole braids were attached by hand.
It was tricky sewing the trim onto the sleeve because the sleeve was already sewn up and attached to the garment. I ended up doing the stitching on the ‘right side’ of the sleeve with my left hand and the stitching on the 'wrong side' with my right hand.  The braid has a seperate cord running along each side and I connected the cords as I attached the braid, one side at a time.
There are many rows of straight string trim on the skirts which were all done by machine with a zigzag stitch. I used an invisible zipper foot to guide the string. The scrolling and other fancy bits had to be sewn by hand.
Once all the trimming was done the outfit went together fairly quickly.
I decided to have the doublet and jerkin do up with ties and the front flap closes with clips, which are less historically appropriate.
The hood is lined, which I have never done before but I’m fairly pleased with how it turned out.  I gave the lining some anchoring stitches to the outer fabric at the peak of the hood to stop the layers separating.

To make the sash I sewed three widths of red cotton together with flat felled seams. I hemmed the long sides (by machine, because I had an attack of sanity). The short edge is finished with satin stitch a bit in from the edge, and I frayed the fabric down to the satin stitch to create the fringe.
I was so excited to finish this. While I was making it there were many moments of panic when I became convinced it wouldn’t fit or would look awful but when I finally put them all together it worked. It was a big job and I think it turned out pretty well.



Assassin’s Creed belongs to Ubisoft.

No comments:

Post a Comment