Sunday 13 October 2013

The ubiquitous Simplicity 2172

Like every other costumer, it seems, I was quite taken by Simplicity 2172 when it was released. I ordered it at my local sewing shop (where it had already sold out) and decided to make a version of the coat for everyday wear.  
I chose to omit the neck and sleeve ruffles so the coat would look a bit more utilitarian and I raised the neckline. I also left off the back lacing as the line of the coat is so nice without it. Once I had finished the coat I kept noticing that the neckline gaped a bit so I put a pleat on each side.
This coat is lined, which is a technique I struggle with a bit. There are some parts of the coat that don’t sit quite right and I expect the sleeve linings to pull free at any moment but overall I think it turned out okay.
 
The main thing I learned from lining the coat was to not use designated lining fabrics. Putting this coat on actually makes me cold due to the feel of the lining fabric, and it takes a while to warm up. As it is a reasonably light coat, for spring or autumn wear, this does not matter so much, but I will remember this for when I make a winter coat. The lining is also inclined to fray and pull apart around the stitches – hence my fear for the sleeves.
The coat pattern has pockets – and a good technique for making them.
I have made the corset from this pattern several times and have found it to be very comfortable. I can’t speak for the instructions though, as I used the method from Truly Victorian TV110 adapted to include a layer of fashion fabric. All have an inner layer of coutil and are boned with cable-ties (two in each channel).

 This one goes in my everyday wardrobe:
This one is part of my Ice Goth outfit:
And here I adapted the pattern into a bodice for my Misery costume:



2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your lovely work, I am enjoying your posts.

    What would you use for a coat lining next time? I am plotting a winter coat for next year since I can't find anything I like in the shops. I have the fabric (wool poly blend), but haven't a clue what to line it with...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a flannelette to line my next winter coat and a satin to use for the sleeves so they will slide on easily. I haven't made it yet (struggling with making the pattern how I want it) so I don't know whether this will be successful.

      Delete